Luscious lemon cake
25 April 2019
This delicious spring cake was created by Kayleigh who works in our Tea Rooms and we are very excited that she has shared the recipe with us! This lemon cake is the perfect zesty treat.
- 350g Butter
- 350g Caster sugar
- 350g Self-raising flour
- 6 Eggs
- 4 Lemons
- Cream butter and sugar together with the zest and juice of the lemons.
- Weigh out dry ingredients
- When butter is creamed add the eggs gradually mixing continuously until combined
- Add the wet ingredients the dry ingredients and mix until fully combined
- Divide into two greased cake tins and cook at 160 degrees for 35-40 minutes
- 2 Lemons
- 100g Sugar
- 50g Butter
- 2 Eggs
- 2 Egg yolks
Whisk altogether in a bowl over a Baine Marie until it has thickened and leave to cool.
- 500g Icing sugar
- 500g Softened butter
- Pink food colouring
Beat together icing sugar and butter together until smooth, add pink food colouring until desired colour is achieved.
- 50g Cocoa powder
- 50ml Water
- Mix both together
- Use a stiff bristled brush for speckled egg effect on the outside of the cake when iced
- When assembling the cake you may need to trim the rounded tops of the cakes to make them even
- In the middle of the cake do a layer of butter cream and then a layer of lemon curd and sandwich both sides together
- Using the butter cream cover the entire cake and smooth out for an even finish
- Speckle the cake for effect and then add chocolate eggs to garnish
This sounds perfect to share with friends and family or if you are visiting us then pop by our Tea Rooms then treat yourself to a slice.
Next time you’re enjoying a cuppa and a slice of cake at the castle, share your photos with us using #EdinburghCastle